For visitors arriving from the Roanoke Regional Airport, Blacksburg is approximately 50 miles away. Rental cars are available at the airport. If you plan on using the Smart Way bus to travel from Roanoke to Blacksburg, the schedule can be found here.
Directions to ICTAS from I-81 are as follows:
- Take Exit 118 to reach the exit ramps for all three of the exits at this location. (There is only one exit ramp serving the exits; missing the ramp means a trip north to Exit 128 or south to Exit 114 to turn around.)
- Take Exit 118B onto U.S. 460 West. (This exit connects directly to the Christiansburg Bypass. Follow the signs for Blacksburg/Virginia Tech. The new U.S. 460 bypass between Blacksburg and Christiansburg is open to traffic, creating a limited-access highway from I-81 to the campus entrance at Southgate Drive.
- Watch signs carefully for routes and directions. From the new bypass, you will come to a branch. The South Main Street exists to the right and takes you downtown. Stay on U.S. 460 West, signed for "Virginia Tech, Bluefield" to continue directly to the university.
Option 1: If you don’t have a Visitor Parking Permit proceed as follows:
- Drive for 2.5 miles on U.S. 460 to the traffic light at VA 314, Southgate Drive.
- Turn right onto Southgate Drive.
- There is a campus map a quarter-mile on the right and the Visitor Information Center is a half-mile from U.S. 460 on the right. Please stop and get your parking permit.
- To continue to Randolph Hall 114V, School of Biomedical Engineering and Sciences: Take the first left onto Duck Pond Drive. (Off of Southgate Drive)
- Take the next right onto Washington Street
- Take the next left onto West Campus Drive.
- Drive past the central drill field (on your right), and take a right on Perry Street. (There is a very large parking lot on the left side of Perry Street. Please take the 3rd exit on the left which is the Faculty Parking area. Please ensure you have your permit hanging!
Option 2: You have a Visitor Parking Permit
- To reach Engineering side of Campus past Southgate, continue on U.S. 460 for about a mile to the Prices Fork Road exit for "Downtown." At the second traffic light on Prices Fork Road is access to campus via a right turn onto West Campus Drive.
- Be on the left and take a left at Perry Street. (There is a very large parking lot on the left side of Perry Street. Please take the 3rd exit on the left which is the Faculty Parking area. Please ensure you have your permit hanging!
Directions to ICTAS:
- From the Parking lot, you should be parked in front of a large gray building (Durham) (gray), then the building beside that is Whittemore (tan). Proceed up sidewalk and walk to the left of Durham. ICTAS is the new building, directly behind the gray building Durham.
- Please enter ICTAS at the front of the building, SBES is the 2nd floor, from the main lobby.
View Larger Map
Directions to NCFL:
If coming from I-81:
View Larger Map
- Take Exit 118-B from I-81 and follow signs for Virginia Tech, Blacksburg and U.S. 460 West
- Continue on US 460 West Bypass following signs to Blacksburg (these will be the left lanes)
- Exit 5A - US 460 West Bypass at signs for US 460 Business East and West to Blacksburg
- Exit 5A heading EAST on US 460 Business
- Turn left at the end of the exit ramp onto Industrial Park Dr.
- Go straight at the first stop light.
- At the second stop light turn right onto Ramble Rd.
- Turn left onto Kraft Drive.
- Turn right at the ICTAS and ISLB sign and drive to the back of the parking lot.
Hotel accommodations can be found throughout the Blacksburg area by clicking here. Some hotels are closer to the ICTAS facility and others are closer to the NCFL Facility. If you are primarily visiting the NCFL Facility, we reccommend the Courtyard Blacksburg or the Red Carpet Inn. If you will be working primarily at the ICTAS facility on the main campus, we reccommend that you stay at the Holiday Inn University, The Inn at Virginia Tech, the Clay Corner Inn or the Main Street Inn.